Friday 24 July 2020

Steampunk clock



For Day 90 of the 100 day challenge, I decorated a clock dial with gilding flakes, noting that it would at some point become an actual clock.  And here it is!
The mdf base was made by my youngest son at school in Year 8, sixteen years ago .... now I have finally got around to using it :-)
The background paper is from the Stamperia collection 'Cosmos'.  I cut panels for the front and sides, having painted around the edges of the mdf in bronze.  These were sealed with Mod Podge and allowed to dry before adhering to the clock with wet glue, so that they wouldn't bubble up under the subsequent varnish.
I then die-cut the gear corners for the front and decorative panels for the sides, dies by Memory Box and Marianne respectively.  The metal cogs/gears in both antique copper and gunmetal finishes were from stash and adhered with Cosmic Shimmer glue, which I have found to be excellent for sticking down metal.
The clock mechanism was inserted (and tested!) so that the dial could be placed accurately.  The dial is a little too big for the base, so I attached tiny feet (originally sold as dolls house furniture knobs) to increase the height just a bit.  Then the dial and hands were attached.
I felt it needed a little more and stuck a row of pearls to the top edge and some more around the cogs/gears at the front and sides.
It will now have pride of place on my mantelpiece :-)
I am sharing this with Sandee & Amelie's Steampunk challenges Summer Special and with the CraftWorld Steampunk Inspired challenge


1 comment:

  1. I love how you've used your son's make - that makes this project really special! And you have turned it into such a beauty! Thanks for sharing it with us at SanDee&amelie's Steampunk Challenges!

    Claudia x

    ReplyDelete